Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A Saturday's Review on Tuesday

I have been reading Why You Say It by Webb Garrison. Subtitled: The Fascinating Stories Behind Over 600 Everyday Words and Phrases, this book tries to explain some of our more common English colloquialisms.


The author has researched the 600 entries (the bibliography is extensive) and come up with some logical and some not so logical reasons as to why we say what we say.

This is not a book to be read through in one sitting. I have the copy on my nightstand for reading a little at a time.

I have chuckled at some of the entries, but mostly have not been too impressed by the blurbs. There are better, more comprehensive books on the same subject. I think a trip to the library would bear this out.

Overall, this is a good book for casual reading; if you do not want to get immersed in more detailed explanations of the phrases found in the book.

Thomas Nelson has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book; for this unpaid review.

No comments:

Post a Comment